Hi. The question below is one that I get asked quite a lot so I figured it was time to turn it into an Ebook Times Q and A.
Here we go…
Q. I’ve just finished writing a book on a text editor. What do I need to do to make it an ebook and add it to my website?
A. What you need to do now is convert your text document to PDF format. Once in PDF format, you can distribute your ebook on the internet — and it will be compatible with just about every type of computer (Mac, PC, Hand-held etc.).
There ARE other ebook formats/types that you can make but none are as universally compatible as PDF.
To make a PDF ebook, you need a PDF-compiler.
There are lots of options available (including the original Adobe Acrobat which sells for $450+ here).
Here are a few alternative options that won’t go quite so hard on your pocket…
- You could download the free office suite here because its text editor includes an option to convert your files to PDF:
- You could try the free software available here (it forces you to look at some ads during the process of making the PDF — you can disable these ads for a one-off $9.95):
- This is a nice little PDF compiler that I sell myself. You can even get the resale rights to this one:
- You can try the Adobe online PDF creator here (US and Canada only):
This is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. There are LOTS of other PDF compilers available out there — with varying features and ease-of-use. If you search Google for PDF compiler (or converter), you’ll find plenty of other options.Once you’ve created your PDF, you need to add it to your website so that others can download it.
You’ll find the information you need for this at these links (select as appropriate)…
- I just want to make my PDF available for public download on my site
- I want to sell my PDF and make it automatically available for download via a private ‘thank you’ page
One last point…
Even if you don’t want to write an ebook of your own, this same procedure is all you need in order to convert some of your PLR (private label rights) articles or PLR ebooks into brand new products that you can call your own.
While you may not be too comfortable with selling an ebook created using PLR content — you could certainly use it as a free promotional vehicle for your other products or affiliate products that you promote. Just find the right content, add YOUR links, compile it into a PDF and then make it available for download.
Okay, that’s it for now. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions, don’t hesitate to leave a comment below. (At the very least, you’ll get a nice backlink to your website.)
UPDATE: I’ve just added a video that shows how to make PDF ebooks using MS Office 2007. You’ll find that video here.
All the best,